Preventive dental care includes dental check-ups, regular dental cleanings, digital x-rays, and much more. By maintaining a healthy mouth, you are taking an essential step towards a healthier life. Preventive dentistry emphasizes the importance of routine hygiene practices that help in preventing tooth decay or any other dental conditions. In order to have effective preventive care, at-home oral care also matters.
What are the common preventive dental strategies?
The common dental strategies that you need are, as follows:
At-home oral hygiene includes:
- You need to do regular brushing and flossing at least twice a day to keep away the dental plaque. If it isn’t removed, it can form dental tartar, which leads to tooth decay or gum disease.
- Use fluoride toothpaste as fluoride helps in strengthening teeth, preventing tooth decay as well.
- Use fluoride mouth rinses.
- It is essential to have a balanced diet for your dental health. Foods that have carbohydrates and sugars help the bacteria to grow in the mouth. Calcium-poor diets can lead to jaw deterioration or periodontal disease.
- Consuming alcohol, smoking, and chewing tobacco can cause lots of negative impacts on your oral health. They can cause problems like dry mouth, tooth discoloration, gum plaque buildup, tooth loss, and even oral cancer.
- Other dental strategies: Other dental strategies include:
- Get regular dental check-ups at least every six months. The dentist carries out oral cancer screenings to check if there are any signs of abnormal tissues.
- A dental cleaning is vital to remove dental plaque and stains, that cannot be removed by routine cleaning.
- X-rays help the dentist to look for signs of dental problems that are not visible virtually, such as teeth cavities and problems below the gum line.
- A customized mouth guard that fits perfectly can be worn as protection against broken teeth while being involved in sports activities. Mouthguards are also used in treating bruxism, which can lead to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder.
- Malocclusion can affect your eating and speaking habits. They are hard to clean, as well. Any such problem can be resolved using orthodontics that uses dental braces or Invisalign or Invisalign Teen.
- Sealants can help in protecting a child’s teeth from getting decayed. They are placed on the surfaces of permanent back teeth.
- It is essential to get consistent dental care for chronic dental diseases by arresting or reversing its effects.
- Patients should be educated about the importance of having good dental health. With excellent oral hygiene habits, dental health can be ensured for a lifetime.
Call us at 949.209.8889 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Jocelynn for a consultation at our office in Mission Viejo, CA.