A dental implant is a replacement for your missing natural tooth. Implants are inserted directly into the jawbone exactly at the missing tooth’s position. They are composed of a titanium stud that acts as the tooth root and a crown made from dental-grade ceramic material. Together, they entirely replace a missing tooth and ensure your oral functionality and aesthetics are restored to their ideal conditions.
What are the drawbacks of missing teeth?
- Missing teeth leave a significant gap in the jawbone as well as between the teeth. This allows the teeth adjoining the gap to drift from their orthodontically right positions.
- Biting and chewing food would seem increasingly difficult and may cause pain and discomfort.
- A gap in your smile can make you feel too conscious of your appearance when you socialize. This can result in hindered self-confidence.
- Leaving a tooth unrestored can result in shrinking of the jawbone.
How is an implant placed?
Implant surgery takes extremely trained hands. During the initial consultation, the dentist will conduct x-rays and scans to determine your candidacy for the implant. We will review various factors such as jawbone size and shape, spacing available for placing the implant, gum diseases, overall health condition, etc. Since the process could be painful, local anesthesia will be administered to numb the oral tissues. A small cut will be made on the gums to expose the underlying jawbone. The dentist will make a hole in the jawbone and insert the metal implant stud in it.
After a few months of healing, the jawbone would have adhered well to the implant to hold it firmly in position. During the next appointment, the crown will be placed on the implant with the help of dental adhesives, and a connecting element called an abutment. A bite test will be conducted, and the crown will be polished to enhance its appearance.
What are the advantages of implants?
- Implants offer excellent stability as they are fixed to the jawbone.
- An implant prevents jawbone deterioration as the screw-like grooves on its surface help to hold it intact.
- Implants offer excellent longevity. With optimum care, they last for several years without hassle.
- Biting and chewing food is hassle-free with implants in place. The ceramic crown restores oral functionality to its ideal state.
- Implants are highly durable. The dental-grade ceramic crown hardly wears even after several years of usage.
Please schedule an online appointment or call us at (949) 209-8889 to have a consultation with Dr. Vida, and we will be happy to help.