Porcelain or ceramic is a commonly used material for the fabrication of dental restorations. It can be customized to match the exact appearance of the teeth in terms of color, texture, translucency, contour, etc. A popular dental restoration fabricated using tooth-colored ceramic is a dental veneer.
What are veneers?
Veneers are wafer-thin restorations used to restore teeth that are either cracked, chipped, excessively spaced, or worn out. The dentist fabricates veneers according to the contour of your teeth and bonds them to their frontal surface using dental adhesives. Veneers can restore the teeth to their ideal structural integrity and shape.
Why choose veneers?
- Veneers are highly versatile. They can be used to treat a variety of cosmetic dental issues in the most simple way possible.
- Despite being extremely thin, veneers offer excellent features such as durability and strength. However, it would be best if you didn’t use them to tear open plastic bags, crush ice in your mouth, etc. as it can damage them.
- Veneers are long-lasting. With optimum care, they can even last for several years.
- Due to their thin nature, veneers do not add a lot of volume to the ideal tooth structure.
- The procedure involved in placing a veneer is quite simple and less time-consuming.
What is the procedure for getting veneers?
During the first consultation, the dentist will take x-rays and digital scans of the teeth to understand the severity of the condition and formulate a customized treatment plan. The dentist will then remove a thin layer of enamel by grinding the tooth so that it doesn’t look too big or bloated when the veneer is bonded to it. The scans will be sent to a dental laboratory where the veneer will be fabricated from dental-grade ceramic.
The veneer will be matched precisely with your natural teeth in terms of color, texture, and contour. The dentist uses photosensitive adhesives to firmly bond the veneer to the tooth. It will be hardened using a curing light, after which it may be polished to enhance its appearance. The veneer will cover the surface imperfections and stay under disguise, thanks to its life-like aesthetics.
Please schedule an online appointment or call us at (949) 209-8889 to have a consultation with our cosmetic dentist, Dr. Vida, at our office in Mission Viejo, CA to get the best porcelain veneers.